
It's getting hot here in LA. "Record-breaking", they say. Weather. Ugh. Anyway, I don't have the internet at home anymore because someone set-up a password to put my wi-fi hot-spot on ice [I write this from under a tree on Hyperion Ave. that I found to be a source of internet connectivity]. In tribute, I decided to spend yesterday afternoon drinking booze and working out a cover of Bill Fay's We Want You to Stay. As I'm only two songs into my career [not counting that botched Neil Young cover in 2002 or 3. "Pissing in the wind...", truly, Neil ; )], this was by far the most complicated thing I've ever recorded. The original [you can find it on the first mix I did down below] is mostly horn-based so I had to figure out a way to get those down. At first it wasn't coming to me, I was taking takes and scraping them. Then, my friends, I turned to my trusty Casio and a few pedals. Voila! Friend, we went you to hear...
P.S. When people say that Leonard Cohen can't sing, don't believe them. It takes a human of real swagger to pull of a voice like that. I didn't even come close. In fact, I think I sound borderline tone-deaf. People who touch his throne: Bill Fay, Bill Calahan, Thumper Axelrod.

No comments:
Post a Comment