Thursday, March 26, 2009

V/A - Girls, Reverb, & Louie Louie



     Like a 13 year-old in his first record store, I've been obsessively downloading compilations lately. It all started when I spent a month or so looking for the song Detroit, Michigan by The Fabulous Peps and stumbled upon a massive collection of soul & blues comps. I didn't really know what to do with myself. The 13 year-old me would have hoarded all of this stuff to maintain a cooler-than-thou attitude. Well, my precious few readers, thankfully I'm no longer like that & I've decided to throw together a little mix of things I've been downloading- a best of breaking the law, if you will. There are a few old things mixed in here (songs that in the past couple months have stood out to me as pretty or significant) but, aside from maybe 5 songs, most of this shizz is new.
     Now, you may ask, "What's up with the 'Louie, Louie'?". Well, my friends, if you don't know, now you know. The Kingsmen's Louie, Louie, in my opinion, is one of the coolest things recorded in 1963. So simple, so effective. Listen closely, with the volume on high, and you'll hear it: the sound of the bass guitar, the ramshackle drumming, the haste of the vocal delivery. This is the sound of learning a reggae tune, flipping it & putting it down in an hour. An absolutely magical moment captured on tape. At one point in my life this on was on a list of songs that I'd never need to hear again (Wild Thing, You Really Got Me...), but one fateful night I was drunk in a bar (The Empty Bottle?) and in between sets this gem came on the sound system. It was at just the right volume for me to hear it's brilliance and see through all the hatin'. It was a real-life version of that scene in White Man Can't Jump when Wesley Snipes is telling Woody that he cannot hear Jimi, except I was having the conversation with myself... alone... about Louie, Louie.

01- Black Rhythm Happening - Eddie Gale
02- Out in the Streets - The Shangri-Las
03- I'm Gonna Cry a River - The Ohio Untouchables
04- Life & Soul of the Party - Mally Page
05- We Don't Belong - Sylvan
06- What a Lonely Way to Start the Summertime - Bitter Sweet
07- Monologue About Bermuda - Jonathan Richman
08- Lost in a City - The Majors
09- Detroit, Michigan - The Fabulous Peps
10- Somebody Help Me - Donald Jenkins & The Delighters
11-  I'm Goin' for Myself - Eddie & Ernie
12- Ponytail - Panda Bear
13- The Bublight - Joe Meek
14- Good Looks - Night Control
15- I Can't Let Go - Evie Sands
16- Louie, Louie - The Kingsmen
17- Dark in My Heart - Lee Hazlewood
18- You Don't Know - Ellie Greenwich
19-  Crying in the Rain - Carole King
20- Shangri-La - The Kinks
21- Won't That Be a Happy Time - Louise & Joseph




No comments:

Post a Comment