Thursday, February 5, 2009

Moanin' and Stompin' Blues


     It's raining here in Los Angeles (hard... so hard, in fact, that there's a raging river on the street and trash bins are floating by like sailboats) and I've been listening to early Blues stuff in order to help Ms. X find a song that sounds like an old prison field recording. I, of course, didn't find it on this album but it was really nice to pull this one out of the stacks and dust it off. I hadn't listened to it in a couple of years & when I put it on, I kicked my coffee table across the room because I got so excited about sharing it with (every)one of you. John Lee Hooker is one of my favorites (right up there next to Chester Burnett... who you may know as Howlin' Wolf) and this collection of early recordings on King is one of the coolest things I've ever heard. The ambience of these recordings sends chills up and down my spine each and every time I listen to it. It makes you wonder why someone even invented the computer, let alone recorded music onto one. So, sit back, relax & strap on your seat belt. Even if your name isn't Barbara and the blues isn't your thing, you still have to marvel at the genius of John Lee Hooker. Buy everything of his that you see. Meanwhile, I'll work on recording this album onto my computer...

1 comment: