Friday, December 4, 2009

Be Good at One Thing.


I was driving the other day and listening to this record. I recently discovered half it sitting in a file on my computer. I must've come across it somewhere, took interest, sought it out, & downloaded half of it. Story of my life. Which brings me to this troubling thought: when you die, will people remember you for being really good at one particular thing or will they remember you as an individual who dabbled in a bunch of things but never really stood out at one thing in particular? Heavy, man. Ed Askew was really good at playing an instrument called a tiple. He put this record out on ESP in the late 1969s and nothing ever came of it. He recorded another one intending to follow up his first, it never came out (it was eventually released on De Stijl Records and you should run out and buy. It's fantastic). He spent the next 30+ years doing the same thing and hasn't recorded much since. I'm gonna go on record and say he's officially on record as having done something, in my opinion, truly great. It's too bad I'm not God or Wikipedia.

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like a great recommendation... I will definitely check this out... Thanks pal!

    ReplyDelete